Tullie Smith House

THIS OLD HOUSE - ATLANTA map
From Tullie Smith ...



In my never ending quest to see all the old houses in the Area, I ran down to the Atlanta History Center in Buckhead to visit the city’s oldest house, the Tullie Smith House. It is attached to the center and included in the price of admission (discount admission at AtlanTix).



The house was built in 1826 and was moved to this site from its original spot in Druid Hills, on the site of the current Executive Park complex. I hear this location is in line for a Atlantic Station type renovation, but who knows



The house is a simple Georgia Farm, built by Robert Smith. The house is named for its last resident Tullie, who left the home in the early seventies.



There is an included tour, with guides often in period outfits. Unfortunately, there is no photography allowed inside the home itself. The guides are fairly knowledgeable and happy to answer questions about how things were done during the heyday of homesteads like this one.



Also on the premises are a working farm with sheep and chickens, as wells a foodstuffs. And external but very necessary structure like an outhouse, storage, and tenants quarters.



As part of the multifaceted Atlanta History Center (which includes the Swan House and the History Museum), the Tullie Smith house is one of the more interesting of all the oldest houses in the area. And its West Paces Ferry location means its very easy to get to.

2 comments:

  1. I love looking at this house. I am lucky to say that this home belonged to my Great, Great Aunt Tullie. My mother has told me so many stories about her and the time she spent at this home. Aunt Tullie was a very tall, stern woman that I wish I could have met. I am blessed to say we have Aunt Tullie's will and other items that we cherish along with stories and memories of this amazing woman. We are going to visit the home again soon and I can't wait. Thanks for sharing this history with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at pictures of this house. This home belonged to my Great, Great Aunt Tullie. My mom has told me so many stories about her and the time she spent at this home. Aunt Tullie was a very tall and stern woman. I wish I could have met her. I am blessed to have stories told to me and items that belonged to Aunt Tullie, including her last will. Thanks for sharing the story of Aunt Tullie to everyone. We plan to visit the home again soon.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...